Software Engineering Summer Intern
Location: Strongly prefer Chicago based student for this Remote – Telecommuting Position
Salary: This is a paid internship with salary dependent on college level and experience
Guntin & Gust, PLC is an intellectual property law firm providing legal services to Fortune 500 and mid-size companies. The firm has been very successful in part due to its forwarding-looking efforts to modernize its practice. In this regard, the firm has developed several proprietary software productivity tools that are currently used by its paralegals and attorneys. The Intern will be responsible for testing and debugging the next generation of the firm’s productivity tools, and will work closely with a senior software engineer collaborating with the firm. The Intern will report directly to the firm’s project manager, and will from time-to-time also receive direction from the firm’s managing partner—an alumnus of Kellogg’s Executive MBA program. The Intern will also have an opportunity to analyze the firm’s infrastructure (e.g., SQL server, SharePoint server, Exchange server, Linux server, etc.) and provide recommendations to further modernize the firm’s practice. Time permitting, the Intern will also assist in identifying solutions and proposals on IT/Software projects that the firm may consider for future development.
It is expected that the Intern will communicate daily with multiple members of the team and will report weekly on the status of projects.
- This candidate, if hired as a full-time employee upon graduation, would be responsible for all software development projects and infrastructure management of the firm.
- There are countless opportunities to modernize IP processes, which makes this an exciting career opportunity for someone who wishes to make a mark in this industry.
Commitment of 30 – 40 hours/per week
- Computer Science / Computer Engineering Major with no less than a B in all computer science courses
- Strong work ethic with ability to work both independently and with other team members
- Solid communication skills – both written and verbal
- Creative thinker/problem solver
- Organized, analytical, logical, and process thinking capabilities are required
- Strong software development experience
- Completed Junior year with substantial coding experience
- Completed 1st year of a Master’s program with substantial coding experience